Current time: 07-19-2019, 07:38 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
[Guide] Popular Guide to Installing Shaders (SEUS' Shaders/Optifine HD) [Windows]
08-07-2016, 09:39 AM (This post was last modified: 04-12-2017 12:41 PM by Hjortshoej.)
[Guide] Popular Guide to Installing Shaders (SEUS' Shaders/Optifine HD) [Windows]
Popular Guide to Installing Shaders on Minecraft

- Guide to Install SEUS' Shaders, Optifine HD and John Smith Legacy Resourcepack -
(C) (M) (S) (A) (SA)

After being asked multiple times about what resourcepack and what shaders I'm using to take pictures of the server, I will be putting together a guide to installing Shaderpacks along with Optifine HD and the resourcepack I use myself.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Preparation:
First off, to avoid wasting time on setting everything up and going through a lot of downloads, please make sure that you have a Graphics card that is able to run the shaders at a resonable rate. Before going any further, please check the 'Chart of Graphics Crads' buttom of the page. This guide will be biased towards Windows-systems

Be aware of which boxes you tic during all downloads, please read the instructions they give. You are not interested in any extra offerings. (Get parental advision if this seems confusing)
NOTICE: Not Hjort nor CubeVille's staff is responsible for any changes you make. This instruction is to download files mentioned above and nothing else. You choose to follow this guide, you are responsible for your computer.

You're all set!
First-Step: Getting Optifine HD
1- Please go to www.optifine.net/downloads and download the latest version, for your Minecraft Version (Optifine 1.9.4 HD U B6 will work great).
2- Click 'Download', and you will be taken to a adf.ly. Please notice the timer in the top-right corner counting down, and press 'Skip ad' once it's done counting.
3- Now click the 'Download OptiFine_1.9.4_HD_U_B6.jar' written in Light-purple.
4- Once it's done downloading, click on the now downloaded .jar-file
5- Make sure your Minecraft-client is closed to avoid any trouble.
6- Click 'Install' and follow the procedure.

You should now have a new 'Profile' named 'Optifine' when you open the Minecraft Launcher. Your profiles can be seen in the bottom-lefthand corner of the launcher. (Feel free to rename the 'Optifine' profile to something like '1.9.4 - Optifine' if it can help you keep track of having multiple versions installed at once).

OptiFine HD will already boost your game as is. If you are not interested in the shaders, feel free to stop here. :-)

Second-Step: Shaders
1- First we need to locate your '.minecraft'-folder, hold your Windows-button and press 'R' at the same time. (Win+R)
2- In the box, type '%appdata%' and press OK.
3- Open the '.minecraft'-folder and make sure you have a folder in there named 'shaderpacks'. If not, make one by right-clicking. It must be named 'shaderpacks' exactly.
4- If that's all set, you are now ready to download the shader of your choise (Personally my favourite is SEUS' Ultra Motion Blur):
SEUS' v10.1 Standard Recommended if your Graphics Card was not on the list, and still want to try, or if it has a '*'.
SEUS' v10.1 Ultra Recommended for cards without a '*' (Feel free to try regardless)
SEUS' v10.1 Ultra Motion Blur Recommended for cards without a '*' If your card has a '*' or is not on the list, I advise people with motion sickness to stay off.

SEUS is of course not the only shaderspack, if you are interested in other packs, MinecraftSix.com has some interesting reads about them.
SEUS' Shaders (Minecraftsix)
Sildur's Shaders (Minecraftsix)
MrMeep_x3's Shaders (Minecraftsix)

5- Simply drag and drop the '.zip'-forlder, you just downloaded, into the 'shaderpacks'-folder in the '.minecraft'-folder.

You should now be able to open Minecraft and test out the shaders!
6- Open a singleplayer map, or hop on CubeVille and go to your 'Options...'-menu.
7- Hop to 'Video Settings...' and you should see a 'Shaders...'
8- Open the 'Shaders...' and double tap the pack you downloaded.
9- Wait a few seconds for it to load and press 'Done'

That's all, enjoy your shaders! :-)

HELP!
Hjort my shaders don't work, I just get a white screen!
Worry no longer I will have a fix for you!
It will require some extra steps, check at the bottom of the thread, just above the Graphics card Chart for the fix! :-)

Third-Step: Resource Packs (Optional)
You made it! Shaders or not, why not try and make Minecraft a bit more pretty with a Resource pack? :-)
1- Resource packs are fun! Personally my favorite is the John Smith's Legacy resourcepack, you can download in via the link before.
2- Once on John Smith's site, you can go down just a bit, to where you will see the resource pack with a little image to show what it looks like. You want to make sure you are looking at the version, that matches your current Minecraft update.
3- Right beneath the image in the section for the '1.9.4 and 1.10.2' update, you should be able to click a link saying 'John Smith Legacy v1.10.0-1' in a yellow colour.
4- Clicking the link will start the download of a .zip file which you will need to move into the 'resourcepacks'-folder in your '.minecraft'-folder. If you need help with this please check the next 3 steps.
4.1- First we need to locate your '.minecraft'-folder, hold your Windows-button and press 'R' at the same time. (Win+R)
4.2- In the box, type '%appdata%' and press OK.
4.3- Open the '.minecraft'-folder and the folder named 'resourcepacks' in there.
5- Simply drag and drop the '.zip' document you just downloaded into the 'resourcepacks'-folder.

Congratulations, you have now installed your very own resourcepack :-)

There are tons of different resourcepacks for Minecraft, you can try finding more on your own, if you want to look around. Resourcepacks can be found both through YouTube and even a simple Google search. Some sites even allow you to piece together your own! We advice that you have a parent help you if you want to look into more resourcepacks.
And remember! 'X-ray' resourcepacks are against our rules, to make use of on CubeVille. Reasons are bannable if caught!

6- If you need help activating your new resourcepack, hop onto singleplayer or CubeVille.
7- Go to the 'Options...'-menu and open 'Resource Packs...'
8- You should be able to see your newly downloaded resourcepack on the lefthand side, simply click the arrow and move it to the right side.
9- Lastly click 'Done' at the bottom, that's all!

You rock! Enjoy your new resourcepack! :-)

HELP!
Hjort my shaders don't work, I just get a white screen!
(ADVANCED - Follow at own risk)
This is a fix for the 'composite1' error with SEUS'
Okay so I have a guide on how to fix your shaders, but it require some steps and can be pretty advanced.
1- First thing we will need to do is to download editing/scripting programme Notepad++ if you already have this installed, please move to step 2. Please go to aforementioned link.
1.1- You will need to press the white download button in the lefthand side.
1.2- Now click on the little cardbordbox saying 'download.'
1.3- This will start the download of a .exe file which you will need to run.
1.4- Please follow the procedure.
2- All set? Okay I will now need you to open your 'shaderpacks'-folder in the '.minecraft'-folder.
3- Now open the .zip-shaderpack you would like to "repair."
4- Open the 'shaders'-folder inside, and drag out the 'composite1.fsh'-document on to your desktop.
5- Delete the copy left in the 'shaders'-folder. You won't need that anylonger.
6- I will now need you to Right-click the 'composite1.fsh' on your desktop. You should have the option to 'Edit with Notepad++'. Open that.
7- Now, Hold your 'CTRL-button' and press 'F' at the same time. (CTRL+F)
8- Search for 'computefakesky' in the "Find what:"-box.
9- You should see a line saying "vec4 ComputeFakeSkyReflection(in SurfaceStruct surface) {"
10- To repair the faulty code replace the 'in' with 'inout' and save the document.
11- Lastly, drag the 'composite1.fsh'-document, you just edited, from your desktop back into the 'shaders'-folder, that you copied it from.
12- Now, simply close the shaders-folder and try the shaders. :-) [See Step 6-9 on installing Shaders]

Chart of Graphics Cards:
HELP!
How do I find out what Graphics card my computer has?
First: Hold your Windows-button and press 'R' at the same time. (Win+R)
Second: In the box that popped up, please type 'dxdiag' and press OK.
Third: You should now have the 'DirectX Diagnostic Tool'. Select the tab named 'Display 1'
Fourth: Locate the 'Name' in the 'Device' section.
Fifth: Match the 'Name' to any of the cards on the Chart below. If it is not there, I will not guarantee that you will have a good experience with the Shaders.
[Image: c9a9015509.png]
~ Hjortshoej, CubeVille Supervisor Mod

[Image: cb8b258761.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-08-2016, 01:12 AM (This post was last modified: 05-13-2017 12:28 PM by appygal.)
RE: [Guide] Popular Guide to Installing Shaders (SEUS' Shaders/Optifine HD) [Windows]
Wow hjort, that tutorial is mind-blowing!

I'll check out some shaders when I'm back Wink

Supreme Overlord of CV4 Nub Shack
Founder of CV5 Premium Town, Nautica
Mayor of CV6 Quality Town, Zephyr Dunes

[Image: Mno66ti.png?2]
[Image: VFJSB86.png?1]
[Image: Ko66yoT.jpg?1]
Find all posts by this user
08-12-2016, 11:33 AM
RE: [Guide] Popular Guide to Installing Shaders (SEUS' Shaders/Optifine HD) [Windows]
Wait, how can I see what kind of Graphics Card I have?

[Image: 9PZdmlDl.png]
08-12-2016, 11:40 AM
(08-12-2016 11:33 AM)QueenSheepaleepz Wrote:  Wait, how can I see what kind of Graphics Card I have?
There is a guide just above the chart for you, Sheepa :-)

08-12-2016, 02:53 PM
There is no tab that says "display 1"

08-12-2016, 03:01 PM
(08-12-2016 02:53 PM)QueenSheepaleepz Wrote:  There is no tab that says "display 1"

If you are on a laptop it will either just say "Display" or "Display 1"
It depends on if you have secondary screens connected or not :-)

08-12-2016, 05:41 PM
I don't even have a tab that says "Display" though D:

08-12-2016, 09:37 PM (This post was last modified: 08-12-2016 09:48 PM by Tisjstme.)
(08-08-2016 01:12 AM)appygal Wrote:  whden
Oops Appy, it's when
(08-12-2016 11:40 AM)Hjortshoej Wrote:  Thrid
Oops Hjort it's third

I had forge. Is that better or worse than optifine?
I also had chicken core and zan's mini map. (I miss my mods) I don't have to have the chicken core... I also had schematics.
I also had/have my own made resource pack which is out of date and has glitched textures. I need a new default 128x 1.9.4 pack to transfer my textures to. I don't know where or what to download the default pack from. Also the nether is real dark in my pack and I want to be able to change that so what part of the .mc/textures folder is that in and where can I find a lighter version of the nether skylight.
Also, I dont want to have to start all over again.. like save .mc folder and all that, I hear you can just update what you have without doing that.. idk how... Sad
I hope you can help me... Thanks Hjort.

[Image: gH5DYm3.png]
08-13-2016, 03:12 AM
Well. Apparently my laptop can't run shaders. I tried it once and it crashed my minecraft. I tried it again and my fans went CRAZYYYYY

[Image: MCNT_575155bb22163_2.png]
Nubbing on CV since 9th May 2015
Proud Mayor of Inferno CV 5
Proud Mayor of Piraeus CV 6
"The Great Delfic Omletacle!"
08-13-2016, 03:52 AM
(08-12-2016 05:41 PM)QueenSheepaleepz Wrote:  I don't even have a tab that says "Display" though D:
Okay, can you tell me what Laptop it is that you have, I will need brand, series and model. Really any details you can get for me, I can use. Then I will figure it out for you. :-)

(08-12-2016 09:37 PM)tisjstme Wrote:  [...]
I had forge. Is that better or worse than optifine?
I also had chicken core and zan's mini map. (I miss my mods) I don't have to have the chicken core... I also had schematics.
I also had/have my own made resource pack which is out of date and has glitched textures. I need a new default 128x 1.9.4 pack to transfer my textures to. I don't know where or what to download the default pack from. Also the nether is real dark in my pack and I want to be able to change that so what part of the .mc/textures folder is that in and where can I find a lighter version of the nether skylight.
Also, I dont want to have to start all over again.. like save .mc folder and all that, I hear you can just update what you have without doing that.. idk how... Sad
I hope you can help me... Thanks Hjort.
Forge and Optifine is two very different tools for very different jobs.
- Optifine is meant to give you more things to configure in therms of the "Video settings" you get inside Minecraft. This can boost your PC's performance while in-game, making it run much smoother.
- Forge is a tool you can use to be able to mix and match mods (Like Minimap, Schematica and many others). It's a platform programmers can build around, while still making the code readable for Minecraft.

As for a plain 128x resource-pack, and a lighter version of nether skylight, you are quite possibly better off, tracking that down on Google. Possibly find a toturial or a guide, because I don't have any experience piecing my own pack together, outside of a online configurator.
I don't think it is necessary to start completely over, as often you can just take the materials from previous versions and fix it. :-)

(08-13-2016 03:12 AM)qdms Wrote:  Well. Apparently my laptop can't run shaders. I tried it once and it crashed my minecraft. I tried it again and my fans went CRAZYYYYY
Shaders are very demanding, and the far majority of laptops do not have the capabilities to run them. If you really want to get into the more interesting side of gaming, with higher demanding games and shaders, I advice to go for a Desktop computer, rather than a laptop, as desktops are far more powerful, and cost much less per performance.

08-13-2016, 11:03 AM
Thanks Hjort, I found the changing of items and blocks within the texture pack easier than Forge etc. I had a game a few computers back that I learnt how to change the textures in, I guess that helped me do the MC ones. LOL.

[Image: gH5DYm3.png]
08-13-2016, 02:34 PM
I have an ASUS laptop then it has a sticker that says "intel inside CORE i3"

08-13-2016, 05:18 PM
(08-13-2016 02:34 PM)QueenSheepaleepz Wrote:  I have an ASUS laptop then it has a sticker that says "intel inside CORE i3"

I have i5 Big Grin

[Image: MCNT_575155bb22163_2.png]
Nubbing on CV since 9th May 2015
Proud Mayor of Inferno CV 5
Proud Mayor of Piraeus CV 6
"The Great Delfic Omletacle!"
08-13-2016, 07:53 PM
(08-13-2016 02:34 PM)QueenSheepaleepz Wrote:  I have an ASUS laptop then it has a sticker that says "intel inside CORE i3"
That's not quite detailed enough, I'm afraid I will need a bit more details. Model and series at least. Many Asus laptops use the Intel Core i3. :-)

(08-13-2016 05:18 PM)qdms Wrote:  [...]
I have i5 Big Grin
The Core i5 is not necessarily better ;-)

For instance, my desktop PC uses a Core i7-4770, but I just installed a Core i7-6700K processor in my little brothers PC, which is quite a lot better, even though they are both named "Core i7"

The "Core i3" "Core i5" "Core i7" means close to nothing, as there are so many variants of each of them.

Also it really depends on what you intent to use said processor to do. :-)

08-15-2016, 05:59 PM (This post was last modified: 08-15-2016 06:03 PM by jims996.)
(08-12-2016 11:33 AM)QueenSheepaleepz Wrote:  Wait, how can I see what kind of Graphics Card I have?

An easy way to check is to press f3 in Minecraft to bring up the debug screen. The display type is listed on the right side of the screen about 1/4 of the way down. You'll see 'Display:' and then your graphics card info.

For example, the image below shows I'm using a GTX 965M.

[Image: SIzSB2em.png]

[Image: jims996.png]

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)