Current time: 07-19-2019, 07:28 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
A Citizen's Introduction to Mods
01-31-2018, 01:25 PM (This post was last modified: 01-31-2018 01:26 PM by vic_torus.)
A Citizen's Introduction to Mods
Hello there and welcome to Minecraft Modding 101! Smile This post will hopefully go over how to install Forge and LiteLoader onto your Minecraft client, install mods onto your computer, and then give you an overview of some basic mods that might just make your life on Cubeville a little easier and more fun. With the recent update to 1.12.2, now might just be that time to take a step away from vanilla and find that perfect mod to help you out! I intend for this to be an expandable article, with additional information added as needed; also, feel free to add your own questions, comments, tips and tricks, or other information in posts below. Let's get started! Big Grin

Part One: Forge and LiteLoader

Q. What are Forge and LiteLoader anyway?
A. Forge and LiteLoader are “bootstraps” or mod-handling programs for Minecraft; since I’m not qualified to get into too much technical detail, I’ll simply explain this further by saying that they are mods themselves, with the sole purpose of serving as a bridge between your Minecraft client and any other mods you might have installed on your computer. Some mods are designed for Forge; some are designed for LiteLoader; and some are designed for neither, or even both. Personally, if you’re interested in using mods then I would recommend installing both programs; this will give you a wider variety of mod selection, and the two programs go together like peanut butter and jelly. Let’s get in to how to install them!

How to Install Forge

Spoiler Expand
Head to https://files.minecraftforge.net/, and select the Forge version that you would like to install- for Cubeville, that would now be 1.12.2. (You can go with either the Latest software build or the Recommended build, depending on your personal preference; some people are more comfortable with the stability of a Recommended build, while others want the software as updated as possible. Forge is well-maintained so it’s not likely going to be an issue either way.)
[Image: 3jh3tvN.jpg]

Click on either Windows Installer if you’re running a Windows computer, or Installer for Mac/Linux, and your download should start (after you select “Skip” on the brief ad.fly or whatever display). When given the choice, save the download to a place on your computer you can find it- your Downloads folder, the desktop, wherever. When the download is finished, navigate to that location and click on the file you just downloaded. The Forge install wizard should start- follow the prompts from there, and soon you will have Forge successfully installed. (Mac users might need to take some extra steps- I would recommend this article for assistance.)

How to Install Mods With Forge

Spoiler Expand
To install mods with Forge, first you will need to navigate to your .minecraft folder. This can usually be done on a Windows 10 machine by right-clicking the Start button in the lower-left hand corner of the Desktop, selecting Run, typing in %appdata% and clicking OK, and then selecting Roaming. From there, your .minecraft folder should be near the top of the list:
[Image: v4Xr0zH.jpg]

Click on that folder, and you should see a pretty similar setup as shown:
[Image: U3MpSko.jpg]

Navigate to the folder labeled “mods”. Don’t have one? Easy- simply create one! Once you have found (or made) your mods folder, go ahead and click on that to enter it. Now, when you download a mod, it comes packaged in a .jar file- to install mods on your Minecraft Forge profile, simply copy the .jar file and paste it into your mods folder. It’s as easy as that!
[Image: vO6j0jC.jpg]

One final note- if you run Minecraft on multiple versions, you can organize mods by version in your mods folder. Very handy.)
[Image: ec7maMM.jpg]

To run Minecraft modded through Forge, open your Minecraft launcher and select the new Forge profile that has been created:
[Image: 6nnzcpA.jpg]

Installing LiteLoader/LiteLoader Mods
Spoiler Expand
A guide to installing LiteLoader is a little trickier, because it is very flexible- it can be run with Forge or standalone, for instance. I’ll go over how to install it attached to a Forge profile- if you’d like to run it in a different manner or would like more detail, check out this link.
First, you head to http://www.liteloader.com/download and click on the LiteLoader version of your choice to download.
[Image: J4R318J.jpg]

Make sure that Minecraft and its launcher are completely closed, and then run the LiteLoader installer, similar to how you ran the Forge one. On the first screen of the install wizard will be a box labeled “Inherit From”; click on that and select your Forge profile from the options. The rest of the install should be straightforward, leaving you with a Forge-plus-LiteLoader profile to choose from in your Minecraft launcher:
[Image: pvl8NWU.jpg]

LiteLoader mods have the .litemod extension at the end, and are handled in the exact same manner as the .jar mods described above- simply drop them into the “mods” folder under .minecraft, and you should be good to go!

Part Two: Overview of Mods

Here, we discuss some basic mods that I've found handy on CV, where to find them, why you might want them, and a brief overview of how to use them. I haven't covered all of the mods I use on a daily basis, so this section might very well grow in the future, if that proves to be something folks would like.

Optifine
Spoiler Expand
Link: https://optifine.net/home
Dependencies: None- it’s easier to install with Forge though (just drop it in your Mods folder like usual)
Tutorial/Wiki: Several- here’s one handy article
Restrictions on CV: None- it’s actually recommended! Big Grin
Info: Optifine is a powerful mod that is designed to optimize your Minecraft-playing experience, especially in the graphics department. Installing and configuring Optifine on a less powerful computer is often the difference between a playable Minecraft experience and a choppy miserable one; meanwhile, those on higher-end rigs can enjoy the perks of higher FPS; enhanced render distance; dynamic lighting; extra control over details such as clouds, trees, and water; and even basic shaders if your GPU can handle them. All of these settings can be tweaked in the main Options menu, accessible through the ESC button. If you’re only looking to install one performance-enhancing mod, this one is the one to go with.

Light Level Overlay Reloaded
Spoiler Expand
Link: https://minecraft.curseforge.com/project...y-reloaded
Dependencies: Forge
Tutorial/Wiki: See above- It’s pretty straightforward, just hit f4 to toggle the display
Restrictions on CV: None
Info: Light Level Overlay is a handy little mod that shows the light levels emanating from solid blocks, meaning that you can place torches or other forms of lighting down thoroughly even during the day. Imagine how much easier lighting up your village claim will be with this mod! Highly recommended.

Voxelmap/Minimaps in general
Spoiler Expand
Link (Voxelmap): https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/voxelmap
Dependencies: LiteLoader, if using Voxelmap; if using another minimap, dependencies will vary
Tutorial/Wiki: None really, but this might help provide an overview: https://www.planetminecraft.com/mod/zans-minimap/
Restrictions on CV: Must have cave mode and player/mob radar disabled
Info: Minimaps are almost indispensable mods, allowing you to track your location on the map and set waypoints to various locations as you go. There are several minimap mods out there, just about all of which can work on CV provided that they meet the restrictions listed above. Voxelmap is particularly recommended for CV because of its multiverse feature, which allows you to set waypoints specific to multiple worlds. Get lost trying to find the spleef arena? Set a waypoint on it in your Skylands world save, without having it cluttering up your Nether or Quests or Farmlands saves. Very handy Big Grin
Again, there’s no real documentation to link to here, but minimaps are pretty easy to figure out- to check out your controls, just press ESC -> Options -> Controls… and take a look. For VoxelMap, the default button to access settings is m; when you go to turn your cave mode and radar off, that’s the button you’ll most likely want.
Don’t want to use VoxelMap? I’ve also used JourneyMap and liked it, and I’ve heard good things about Xaero’s Minimap. There are a million others out there too, so have fun shopping around!

WorldEdit
Spoiler Expand
Link: https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/worldedit
Dependencies: Forge
Tutorial/Wiki: http://wiki.sk89q.com/wiki/WorldEdit (Slightly outdated)
Restrictions on CV: N/A unless Admin+
Info: WorldEdit most likely needs no introduction- it is a powerful in-game world editor that allows you to manipulate terrain much quicker and easier than even creative mode allows. With WorldEdit, you can convert hundreds of thousands of blocks with a single command, “brush” lakes and rivers into sides of mountains, generate giant donuts floating in the sky- you name it, WorldEdit can probably do it.
Now unless you’re an admin, you’re probably not using WE on CV. So why bring it up? Because it can be used in your creative single-player worlds to build the masterpiece of your dreams, which can then be copied and transferred to CV using another mod known as Schematica, which will be discussed below. In other words- even if you don’t think you need WorldEdit, you should get it anyway, and have some fun playing around with it.
A quick word of warning to those who have never used it: WorldEdit has a little bit of a learning curve, and can be… temperamental regarding mistakes. Before typing your first command, I would highly recommend reading over the wiki or looking through a solid tutorial (searching on Youtube is a good start) until you feel confident. And don’t forget //undo- the best command out there sometimes! Wink

WorldEdit CUI
Spoiler Expand
Link: http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/map...rldeditcui
Dependencies: LiteLoader
Tutorial/Wiki: None really needed; a brief overview is given at the download link
Info: I can’t really describe the WorldEdit CUI better than it describes itself, so here is a direct quote from the download page: ”This mod provides a client-side user interface for the WorldEdit plugin allowing you to see your selected region in-game in real time.” Now what does that mean? It means that instead of having to guess which blocks you have selected with your WorldEdit or WorldGuard wand (on CV, that’s the wooden hoe), you will see your entire selection lit up with a nice colored grid. Yes, I said WorldGuard too- this mod makes region claiming and subzoning a snap, because you can see exactly where the region is being laid out. If you run a town or village, want to create builds in single-player and then import them to CV, or even just want to make measuring distances that much easier, you want this mod.

Schematica
Spoiler Expand
Link: https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/schematica
Dependencies: Forge, LuniatrusCore (downloadable from the same link as above)
Tutorial/Wiki: https://github.com/Lunatrius/Schematica/wiki
Restrictions on CV: Rarely any; see below / ask a member of staff for more details about any specific situation
Info: Schematica is a very handy mod that allows you to build whatever outrageous creation strikes your fancy in single-player, then take a kind of holographic or “ghost” picture of it and set it down in CV to build it in exact detail there. It can also be used on CV to preserve a memory of that beautiful old build that’s about to be torn down, or to figure out just how they built that incredible cathedral or redstone device, or any number of other purposes. It is easy to learn and even comes with a printer function that lays the necessary blocks out for you, provided that they’re in your inventory. (Because this is a frequently-asked question- yes, the printer IS allowed on Cubeville, because if you are building in survival mode- and most likely you are!- you had to gather the blocks yourself. Be forewarned though- the printer does not work that well on SMP servers such as CV.)
Please bear in mind to keep all Schematica activity in line with CV rules and use it appropriately. Schematica will hopefully prove to be a powerful tool in helping you to build beautiful things on CV!
Oink made a nice post about schematica usage: https://www.cubeville.org/forum/thread-1...schematica

Tabbychat 2
Spoiler Expand
Link: https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/tabbychat-2
Dependencies: LiteLoader; MnmUtils required if installing a version before 1.12 (available through above link)
Tutorial/Wiki: See below…
Info: Tabbychat is a mod that separates your chat channels into multiple tabs, allowing you to scroll through them and catch up on conversations, block out certain channels while focusing on others, set up a filter that will make a noise when somebody says your name, and a multitude of other handy things. It also comes with chat timestamps, anti-spam, spellcheck, the ability to resize the chatbox, and more- to be honest, I’m still learning how to use it, almost two years after first downloading it. That’s how beefy a mod it is!

Tabbychat- after WorldEdit- might have the biggest learning curve of any mod listed here; it needs to be configured to each server that it is used on, meaning that there are little to no straightforward tutorials on it. So, with that in mind, I will give you a brief overview of how I have my Tabbychat set up, and hopefully that will help you out if you’d like to use it on CV.

Configuring Tabbychat for Cubeville:
Spoiler Expand
So, after dropping the .litemod file in your mods folder as described above, fire up Minecraft and enter Cubeville. (Tell your friends you'll be afk for a bit- this is going to take a few minutes.) You should notice that your chat looks dramatically different already- there is a [*] tab in the upper-left hand corner when you press t, and tabs may already be trying to fill in from chat. Those auto-tabs can become messy and bothersome quickly; to make them stop, right-click on that [*] tab. You should see a screen like so:
[Image: keLx42R.jpg]

Click on “Server”, and un-check “Enable Channels” and “Enable Messages” to stop those bothersome auto-tabs.
I would personally recommend that you keep “Use default channel” clicked- that is the tab that shows when you click on [*], and it displays all of the different channels together as though they were in vanilla Minecraft.
[Image: knY2JwF.jpg]

If you still have leftover auto-tab channels, you can get rid of them by clicking “Channel”, going through any channels listed individually, and selecting “Ignore”.

Now for the fun part- Cubeville’s chat works best when Tabbychat is given custom filters, which are also created on the “Server” menu. Go down to where it says Filters and click on New, then Click on Edit; a menu should open like this:
[Image: kBwiIdF.jpg]

Name is just that, the name of the actual filter as stored in Tabbychat. You can generally put anything you will remember easily in here- for example, if configuring a market chat tab, you could name it Market.

Destinations lists the visible tabs that the filtered chat will be going to- for example, if the particular filter separates market chat from other chats, then you would likely want to route it to a tab called Market. Chat can be routed to existing tabs, or to a new tab with the name listed in Destinations. To start, Destinations is often the same as Name, but more complex applications are possible as well- for example, if you record or livestream, you can reroute certain channels of chat to a specific tab meant for those activities, and then only those channels will show in your video or stream if you have that tab selected.

Below Destinations there are three buttons- for optimal filter performance on Cubeville, you want Regular Expression and Ignore Case green (selected), and Raw Input red (not selected).

Audio Notification is up to the individual player and depends on the particular filter in question; if you do decide to have an audio notification go off whenever a filter is triggered, you can choose a sound from Minecraft’s sounds.json list, found here. (As an example, minecraft:entity.player.levelup will give you a “jingle bells” type sound.)

Finally, there is the Expression box- in here, you are putting a little snippet of code that tells Tabbychat what type of chat to filter toward the listed destination. Thanks to the eternally awesome FrediW, here is a list of handy expressions and their recommended names and destination tabs for CV. (For the expressions, type everything between the quotation marks exactly as shown, but don’t include the quotes themselves.)

Global Chat:
Name: Global
Destinations: Global
Audio Notification: NOT recommended!
Expression: ”\|\|\|\|\|\|\|\|\|\|”

Local Chat:
Name: Local
Destinations: Local
Audio Notification: Not recommended
Expression: “^<.*>”

Group Chat:
Name: Group
Destinations: Group
Audio Notification: Up to You
Expression: “^\[Group\]”

Private Messages:
Name: PM
Destinations: PM
Audio Notification: Recommended
Expression: “^\((From|To)”

PvP Chat:
Name: PvP
Destinations: PvP
Audio Notification: Up to You
Expression: “^\[PvP”

Market Chat:
Name: Market
Destinations: Market
Audio Notification: Not recommended
Expression: “^\[Market”

New Player Joining (This one’s kind of boring because I made it up on my own lol):
Name: New Player
Destinations: New Player
Expression: “Everyone welcome Cubeville’s newest player,”

Finally, to get an audial “poke” whenever your name is mentioned in chat:
Name: Poke
Destinations: Poke
Expression: “^[<\[].+[>:].*[Vv][Ii][Cc]”
(Replace “Vic” with your name as appropriate)

Here are some examples of configured filters:
[Image: LcvWoYu.jpg]
[Image: UkWMAEL.jpg]

Hopefully that's enough information to get somebody started with some basic Minecraft mods; again, feel free to post questions, comments, tips, recommendations, suggestions, cat videos, etc. below, and I'll try and revise and update this thread to the best of my ability. (Okay, maybe don't post the cat videos lol) Thanks for reading, and happy modding! Big Grin

[Image: HM6zoHB.jpg]
[Image: y6rMVPW.png]
Finally gathered together: Gifts/Fanarts/Shenanigans, Hooray! Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-31-2018, 01:41 PM
RE: A Citizen's Introduction to Mods
[Image: so-beautiful.gif]

Do you think you could put in a link to Oink's schematica guide? https://www.cubeville.org/forum/thread-1...schematica

According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly. Its wings are too small to get its fat little body off the ground. The bee, of course, flies anyway because bees don't care what humans think is impossible. Yellow, black. Yellow, black. Yellow, black. Yellow, black. Ooh, black and yellow! Let's shake it up a little. Barry! Break
01-31-2018, 01:44 PM
(01-31-2018 01:41 PM)ThisIsGolden Wrote:  [Image: so-beautiful.gif]

TYSM! Heart

Quote:Do you think you could put in a link to Oink's schematica guide? https://www.cubeville.org/forum/thread-1...schematica

OMG YES Big Grin
... The only problem is that I can't update it on my own, because the two posts merge into one when I hit "Edit", and that single post has too many images x.x Maybe an admin can work some majyk though :O Heart

01-31-2018, 02:40 PM
I was going to say "NEI is another good one for crafting and it has light displays" but then I realised we have crafting books now in 1.12 >.>

[Image: MCNT_575155bb22163_2.png]
Nubbing on CV since 9th May 2015
Proud Mayor of Inferno CV 5
Proud Mayor of Piraeus CV 6
"The Great Delfic Omletacle!"
01-31-2018, 07:07 PM
Thank You Vic.
Look if an old nub like me can do this, U young ones can too. Installing these things I have found is very easy to do. And Vic has done a great job at describing how to do it. So give them a try, even if its only Forge, Lightloader and LLOverlay.
I have done most of this already. When I did my forge it wouldn't let me do latest, I had to go recommended.
Oops Bic... U circled the MC forge 1.11.2 not the 1.12.2 just seeing this is for the 1.12, but I guess its really for any version.
All in all, this is very innovative. This makes installing mobs so much simpler. I was once told I had to make a new world for each instance, but now Forge and Lightloader install themselves. Makes doing mods so much easier.
Thanks and that's to Oink too for his other forum.. it was easy to follow as well cause I used his for 1.11.2.

[Image: gH5DYm3.png]
01-31-2018, 09:19 PM
Well, well made.

Retired Mayor of Saint Redwood.
IGN: MichaelSteve
02-01-2018, 12:08 AM
Wow, very well put together and useful. Nice job, Vic!

[Image: v1W1uWvl.png]
Steam: Oinkerz
Instagram: OinkerzMC
02-01-2018, 11:36 AM
This is so good!!! I will be sharing this with many others. Nice job Vic!!!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-01-2018, 11:47 AM
Hmmm....Maybe I can actually get Tabby Chat to do something useful now. thanks!

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-01-2018, 06:26 PM (This post was last modified: 02-02-2018 05:34 AM by StormLord.)
I've got a couple things to add to this.
My personal favorite map mod(though I'm not sure how I like the 1.12 version):

Journey Map
Spoiler Expand
Link: https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/journeymap
Dependencies: Forge, standard drag'n drop.
Tutorial/Wiki: Nothing much to it, the default key to open the full screen map is "J". From there just fiddle with settings until you find what you like.
Info: It's very much like Voxelmap(or any other map mod) and while it doesn't handle multidimensional travel as well it has some neat side features I like. Such as multiple mini-map presets, ocean floor mapping, topography, way-points(of course), and fine enough detail that you can zoom in and look block-by-block.

And how could you forget:

Inventory Tweats
Spoiler Expand
Link: https://minecraft.curseforge.com/project...ory-tweaks
Dependencies: Forge, maybe others, idk.
Tutorial/Wiki: Getting started/tutorial link: http://inventory-tweaks.readthedocs.io/e...ng-started
Restrictions on CV: None that I am aware of, but I've found a few mini-game servers that don't take kindly to it.
Info: It does quite a bit, the most useful thing I find is the auto-refill feature that moves stacks of building blocks from you inventory to your hotbar with you use all of the previous stack.
Sadly the inventory sorting and quick stack moving features are both broken on CV right now.

And lastly something a bit out of the way:

Better HUD
Spoiler Expand
Link: http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/map...e-elements
Tutorial/Wiki: Basically just press "U" when you get in game and then go down the list enabling/disabling things as you please.
Restrictions on CV: Probably want to turn off the Mob/Horse info thing.
Info: Adds everything from a compass to a sign reader to "blood splatters"(basically red tinting at the sides of the screen).
Everything is modular and can be used or disabled as you please, I only really use it for the Saturation meter it adds, some of the graphical effects are a nice bonus.

Throw me into a lake and I'll make it the second Dead Sea.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proudly waiting for quests, only four and a half years and counting.
02-02-2018, 12:08 AM
(02-01-2018 06:26 PM)StormLord Wrote:  I've got a couple things to add to this.
My personal favorite map mod(though I'm not sure how I like the 1.12 version):

Journey Map
Spoiler Expand
Link: https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/journeymap
Dependencies: Forge, standard drag'n drop.
Tutorial/Wiki: Nothing much to it, the default key to open the full screen map is "J". From there just fiddle with settings until you find what you like.
Info: It's very much like Voxelmap(or any other map mod) and while it doesn't handle multidimensional travel as well it has some neat side features I like. Such as multiple mini-map presets, ocean floor mapping, topography, way-points(of course), and fine enough detail that you can zoom in and look block-by-block.

And how could you forget:

Inventory Tweats
Spoiler Expand
Link: https://minecraft.curseforge.com/project...ory-tweaks
Tutorial/Wiki: Getting started/tutorial link: http://inventory-tweaks.readthedocs.io/e...ng-started
Restrictions on CV: None that I am aware of, but I've found a few mini-game servers that don't take kindly to it.
Info: It does quite a bit, the most useful thing I find is the auto-refill feature that moves stacks of building blocks from you inventory to your hotbar with you use all of the previous stack.
Sadly the inventory sorting and quick stack moving features are both broken on CV right now.

And lastly something a bit out of the way:

Better HUD
Spoiler Expand
Link: http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/map...e-elements
Tutorial/Wiki: Basically just press "U" when you get in game and then go down the list enabling/disabling things as you please.
Restrictions on CV: None that I am aware of.
Info: Adds everything from a compass to a sign reader to "blood splatters"(basically red tinting at the sides of the screen).
Everything is modular and can be used or disabled as you please, I only really use it for the Saturation meter it adds, some of the graphical effects are a nice bonus.

For better HUD, I think you need to disable the setting that show's what other players health, armor and weapons are. That information gives you an unfair advantage in PVP. This was mentioned by staff in a previous thread about better HUD, which I unfortunately can't find ATM.
02-02-2018, 05:29 AM (This post was last modified: 02-02-2018 05:33 AM by StormLord.)
Huh? I didn't realize that was a thing in better HUD, might be something new. I know there is an option to see your own armor durability, but not others.
Like I said before I've got everything but the saturation meter, "blood-splatters", and water drops turned off.
I turn the sign reader on from time to time to check something at a distance, but it gets annoying what with all the lift signs around.

P.S. I just went and double checked, I can't find anything that gives you any information about what other players have equipped. However there does seem to be a mod radar of sorts so I noted that in my previous post.

Throw me into a lake and I'll make it the second Dead Sea.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proudly waiting for quests, only four and a half years and counting.
02-02-2018, 06:50 AM
(02-02-2018 05:29 AM)StormLord Wrote:  Huh? I didn't realize that was a thing in better HUD, might be something new. I know there is an option to see your own armor durability, but not others.
Like I said before I've got everything but the saturation meter, "blood-splatters", and water drops turned off.
I turn the sign reader on from time to time to check something at a distance, but it gets annoying what with all the lift signs around.

P.S. I just went and double checked, I can't find anything that gives you any information about what other players have equipped. However there does seem to be a mod radar of sorts so I noted that in my previous post.

I just looked too since it was bugging me. It's part of the mob info options and it's disabled by default. I mostly like the weapon/tool and armor durability readouts so I have a visual reminder of when they are close to breaking.
12-19-2018, 12:33 AM (This post was last modified: 12-19-2018 12:34 AM by AwakeSoda.)
I have light loader for mods that I use on CV but Forge is for single player and is really slow Opening
12-20-2018, 09:00 AM
Quick note to myself- I plan on updating this post to include at least BetterHUD, since it has been repeatedly mentioned by others and I find it quite handy myself. I might also include InGameInfoXML, though that one is a little trickier to modify to your own purposes- if anybody has any other suggestions for additions to the thread, feel free to throw them out there, ty Big Grin (Bear in mind that I might need an admin/SA to modify the original post for me, due to the image count. I'll figure it out lol)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)