Current time: 12-16-2018, 11:51 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
What was old cv like?
11-28-2018, 08:13 PM
RE: What was old cv like?
I joined about 3 years ago, late 2015, and it hasn't changed a whole lot in that time, as far as how the server runs. It is definitely still family-friendly, and still as long as you don't do something obviously wrong, you aren't going to get banned. ;)

As Tis said, we have 'hub' on a separate world now with it's portals instead of floating above spawn, but it is essentially the same thing, just not in CVC to help players who have lag issues. We also have the farms moved out of CVC so we could have larger farms, and you have to collect them in a more survival-style manner, which I think is cool.

Rules are exactly the same, except for the addition of a "No staff impersonation" rule after there were some issues. Our player numbers are pretty similar to map 5 statistically, although of course some people move on, and new people join.

The glitches StormLord mentions are inherent to Minecraft itself, I'm afraid, and appeared with the Minecraft updates, not any changing of anti-griefing plug-ins, which are basically the same.

[Image: LYIT17S.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-29-2018, 04:31 AM
(11-28-2018 08:13 PM)saemai Wrote:  The glitches StormLord mentions are inherent to Minecraft itself, I'm afraid, and appeared with the Minecraft updates, not any changing of anti-griefing plug-ins, which are basically the same.

Inherently false.

With possible exception to trouble placing boats(I don't have access to a large unmodded multiplayer server to test it on) the things I listed do not work on CV but do work on either single player or private multiplayer worlds using the same Minecraft profile and/or session.

Ice does not melt at the same rate on CV as it does in other game instances, it freezes just fine though, this means that light blocks literally cannot keep the ice blocks directly above them consistently liquid, much less several blocks out like normal mechanics would suggest.

If you use Ender Pearls with any regularity you are all but guaranteed to have to request a Staff member kill you and transfer your stuff into a chest because minor block clipping caused the server to freak out and repeatedly kick you for "Flying" every time you log in.

Blaze farms(though this is not technically an anti-grief plugin, it's an anti-lag plugin) suffer greatly from the lack of AI due to the fact that lava doesn't interact with them and most farms(such as piston based farms) are designed to work with occasional random pathing. The lack of this pathing makes them vastly less efficient.

I would be thoroughly shocked and amazed if CV used the same software, on the same update version, without any modification beyond minor settings/config changes. In fact I would be surprised if you could even get a plugin as in depth as an anti-griefing security tool designed for 1.5 to properly boot on a 1.11 server without crashing itself, the server, or both.

Point is even without adding new features software still has to be kept up to date, and updates create bug, bugs that do not exist in the base game. Ergo bugs that are caused by the server plugins.

I could continue ranting, but I really ought to compile these and other things not necessarily glitch related into a public list. Would be useful to have it ready for whenever I need it.

Throw me into a lake and I'll make it the second Dead Sea.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proudly waiting for quests, only four and a half years and counting.
11-29-2018, 11:37 AM
Let's not get sidetracked from the original question of:

fletchling Wrote:"Just wondering, what was it like back in 2011/12/13?".

Should you have problems with the current CV server there are more relevant sub-forums in which to post (one might also consider a more polite tone, remembering that CV is a server provided to you for free, run by staff who are all volunteers).

You are welcome to post such a list as you mention at the end of your post to the 'Report an Issue' forum, I can't imagine a scenario in which you would need it besides reporting the problems.

[Image: 7ciirExl.png]
11-29-2018, 02:06 PM (This post was last modified: 11-29-2018 02:27 PM by BlueParakeet_.)
Perhaps be a little more polite and friendly. If you have suggestions about changing it, maybe tell a staff? also it's a little off topic. Sorry to criticize Smile
EDIT: Not trying to impersonate to be staff in any way. Just trying to be a helpful C Big Grin

"What was the Panda doing, robbing a McDonalds?" -BRIN_OO 2018
"The Panda eats, shoots, and leaves." -SirChompers 2018
"Despacito Mayonaise" -SlenderFirebolt 2018
[Image: t5sjGL7.png]
11-29-2018, 02:10 PM
I wasn't saying we've never updated, lol. You complained that the glitches you brought up came with this map. I was saying our anti-cheat plugins were basically the same as before this map, not since CV began. You also didn't say exactly what your problem with ice was, so I was referring to other issues with ice and boats when I said those problems are inherent to Minecraft, not CV, which is true.

I have never had to kill a player because they were stuck being kicked for flying, nor have I ever seen such a thing done by any other staff member. We simply move them when this happens, which is not altogether very often. If this is how you've had this issue dealt with, it's been years ago.

AI being removed from spawners is not by any means new, but just because blaze farms need to be designed for these mechanics, doesn't mean they can't be used.

As Wally points out, this is not the place to air your grievances, however I did not want to leave your last post without a response. If you wish to further this discussion, please take it to the report an issue forum. We do take reported issues seriously.

[Image: LYIT17S.png]
11-29-2018, 05:43 PM
A lot has and had to be changed from CV of old. But I find them changes for the better in most parts. Like the IA on spawners was a cool idea for the kids, to make dealing with them easier And I know kids want to be able to make their own spawner/grinder.
As for CV itself, One can see a lot in 6 years and I can tell you I have seen just about it all. From where spawn was located, to how things/general commands work, to how a build had to change over time due to the way things reacted. I have learnt so much about MC and CV in that time and also from watching MC vids too. Only yesterday Spam asked me something and he said he didn't know that. I told him to watch more youtube. XD

[Image: QC6qx5D.png]
And Quest Builder. Smile
11-29-2018, 06:01 PM
(11-28-2018 12:35 AM)StormLord Wrote:  Wow, CV has changed so, so much since I've joined. To the point where I wouldn't hesitate to call this a completely different server and experience from what I originally joined up for.

I joined on map 4, roughly late summer 2013. I was looking for a multiplayer server and didn't want to deal with the bizarre restrictions and bureaucracy of larger public severs or joining a whitelisted server so CV hit top of the list as a small public server. I think the player cap was 30? 36? something like that back then. It increased several times during map four, I believe to 60 or 80 and again to 108.

Back then the lower player count(and by extension lower staff count) caused a fairly laid back, easy going atmosphere with a sort of "Don't be stupid and you won't get banned" attitude.

With late map 4 and the following map 5 can the EULA changes and a massive shift of the server's operation(I also believe Inut took full charge of the server somewhere around this time, not entirely sure). At the same time there was a huge boom of new players and everyone was excited for this new "quests" thing that was going to be coming out real soon.

Over all map 5 was alright, over its course we had the hopper changes/limits and the chicken apocalypse(s) that spurred the limit on farm animals(not that anyone followed it really).

Now coming to map 6 we got *even more* new players in a boom at the start and from what I can tell we've had a fairly steady stream of them the whole map, sadly many of the players I've known from maps 4 and 5 have left, either for personal reasons like school or various...disagreements I myself struggle with.

I've also noticed many...glitchy behaviors from over zealous anti-griefing plugins crop up during this map, ice, boats, and the nigh total death of the blaze farm to name a few.

I can firmly say that map 6 has been my least favored experience in CV thus far, though I have high hopes(and low expectations) for the next map.

Just a couple of things that I want to clarify from what you stated as facts, which simply are not. As someone who has been here actively since Map 3 and a staff member since Map 4, a lot of what you stated just seems to be either inherently false, or maybe just misremembered. Smile
  • The player cap for Map 4 was actually 100 players. The active player count fluctuated between 30 and 60ish players, or higher (depending on the time of year, Rift events, and such). Maybe that's where you got your numbers from? But the cap was definitely 100 logged-in players.
  • The staff count at the beginning of Map 4 was 27. The staff count at the end of Map 4 was 31. There really has not been a low staff count in the time that I've been on this server, and the number of server staff hasn't increased much. (For reference: The current number of staff members on CV 6 is 31.)
  • "Don't get stupid and you won't get banned" is arguably still a great way to not get banned on CV6. The rules have not been updated an egregious amount since Map 4 to Map 6 and the number of staff has not been increased. I can guarantee that the extent at which punishments are being delivered for breaking the rules has not changed either, as the expectation has been set since Inutterable took control of the server and set the rule standards to Cs and Staff alike.
  • Which, btw, Inutterable took control of the server in September of 2011, that was far before Map 3 even began.
  • We already had quests on Map 4. They were accessed through the Quest Hut located west of spawn. There was no exciting Quest World coming as there was no Quest World project at that time. The excitement for Quests that you remember was probably triggered during Map 5.

Overall, what I want to stress is, yes the server has changed over time. Sure.

But as you mentioned, the basic features in Minecraft change, and have changed, and therefore had to be adapted to fit into the best playing experience that our family-friendly multiplayer (mostly)vanilla server can provide. Change is hard to adapt to. People get comfortable with the way things are, and when things change it can be very upsetting.

However, I think that it's unfair to stay stuck in Map 4 and grumble about all of the ways that the server has changed instead of trying to adapt and look forward to what is to come in future versions of both CV and Minecraft.

[Image: we0xbOI.png]
[Image: ieMvChw.png?1]

[Image: c0ZjGRy.png]
11-29-2018, 06:02 PM
But back to the important matter here! A question was asked and the old lady is here to answer.

I joined during CV Map 3, nearish the end of it. For reference, I believe Map 3 started around March of 2012, it ended in April of 2013. So I was a Citizen for all of my time on Map 3. I can’t find my screenshots from 3 right now, so maybe I can revisit this thread later (if I can get the map download to work).

So, here are some fun little pictures and fun facts about CV 4 for you:

Cubeville Map 4 launched on April 12, 2013. There are a lot of similarities between the CVCs of Map 4 and Map 6.

For instance, /spawn was located in the middle of CVC much like it is today. Even the view at /spawn should seem familiar with all the staff heads denoting which staff member is which rank. Smile
[Image: XbTSiNN.png]

We had a flea market near /spawn where players could purchase chests to sell an item. These look similarly to how they do today too!
[Image: BamT7OE.png]

The classic Cubeville sign and directional markers at /spawn were also there.
[Image: QQeYB5Y.png]

The Staff HQ building stood tall (REALLY TALL) during CVC 4 as well…. It has shrinked in size a bit over the years, but still holds just as many staff members’ offices. Smile
[Image: FSWocly.png]

Carls Jr was there too, of course.
[Image: qvSlw3u.png]

---
But, there are also a lot of differences between the CVCs of Map 4 and 6.

As an example: There were no Farm Lands on CV 4! We had tree farms, a melon farm, and an ice farm -- all of which were located inside of CVC.

[Image: yyulJZ0.png]
(Little fun fact: The Acacia and Dark Oak trees were released during an update that occurred on this map. So when the map started, we had a much smaller farm of only 4 saplings of each type: Birch, Oak, Spruce, and Jungle. This picture is of the SECOND tree farm that was built much later in the map!)

[Image: 9fi8QMb.png]

[Image: 9roHLNc.png]

There were was no Quest world on CV 4. Instead, people came to this little hut in CVC to pick up small quests which didn’t give perk rewards.
[Image: 4C8WKcH.png]

CVC used to be A LOT bigger, with many more plots for people to buy. Unfortunately, this meant we had a bunch of empty, unused plots.
[Image: k1XF26J.png]

There used to be a large theme-park right outside of CVC! It was called Kio Land and was built primarily (or entirely) by an Admin called nwb.
[Image: 85X8JnC.png]
[Image: SjwJVNi.png]
[Image: VZ8F3Ig.png]
[Image: E6xlm4s.png]

There was also a big airport, CV International, which connected to CVC.
[Image: hiGloJQ.png]
[Image: wov3gOI.png]

And lastly, there didn’t used to be highways on Map 4…. We had Sky-ways. Here is a picture of the one nearest the airport.
[Image: GpMGItN.png]

Cubeville Map 4 ended and Map 5 launched on February 22, 2015.
I have loads of other pictures from Map 4 and from Map 5 as well if you are curious about what certain places looked like. CV has been a fun ride these past 6 years. Smile

[Image: we0xbOI.png]
[Image: ieMvChw.png?1]

[Image: c0ZjGRy.png]
11-30-2018, 03:23 AM
Anyone remember a time in map 5 when horse spawning was turned off and the value of a horse dramatically increased? I just randomly remembered that the other day Tongue

[Image: cwlf6yV.jpg?1]
~Livin' the laifu~
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-30-2018, 03:39 AM
(11-30-2018 03:23 AM)AnimeOtaku14 Wrote:  Anyone remember a time in map 5 when horse spawning was turned off and the value of a horse dramatically increased? I just randomly remembered that the other day Tongue

Ohh I totally forgot about that. I remember trying for close to half an hour to get my horses to breed, when finally I asked in global and someone told me it had been turned off xD

[Image: 9hFgfLU.jpg]
"A Sammich is not just a sandwich; it is not just a meal. Sammich is a term reserved for only the holiest and mightiest of all sandwiches. A Sammich is a true work of culinary art"
11-30-2018, 04:33 AM
Oh gosh, the great Skeleton Horse debacle lol

[Image: 7ciirExl.png]
11-30-2018, 04:54 PM
Seems like Moni has been saving screenshots just waiting for this moment to come

[Image: 5117534.png]
11-30-2018, 07:03 PM
(11-29-2018 06:02 PM)Monikorpse Wrote:  CV has been a fun ride these past 6 years. Smile

OMG yes it sure has Moni, and I wouldn't change it for the world. You have all been like (well U r) a family to me and always will be.

(11-30-2018 04:33 AM)WallyDonkey Wrote:  Oh gosh, the great Skeleton Horse debacle lol

Oh yeah.. the first time we got the 4 horsemen. Now that was fun. The horses were turned off due to the horsemen were generating way too much.

[Image: QC6qx5D.png]
And Quest Builder. Smile

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)