Current time: 05-20-2019, 03:08 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Unsuccessful Domeville Spleef Arena
02-05-2019, 11:26 PM
RE: Domeville Spleef Arena
Hey, just posting here to make sure that the staff saw that I requested the details

[Image: Sig.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-06-2019, 06:16 AM
RE: Domeville Spleef Arena
Feedback as requested:

Uniqueness
78.5/100

Spoiler Expand
I like the underwater theme of the spleef arena, and how it also fits the dome theme of the entire village. I would like to see a few more unique things to look around, maybe some decoration on the outside, and around the arena. I do like the round shape of the arena.
7.5/10

This arena is certainly unique. It is the first underwater arena I've seen so far and the block palette chosen compliments it very well. The amount of glass is a little much for players not using a texture pack, but that is not a major issue. The shape of the arena is a big plus as well as it removes those pesky corners which prolong games when campers are in play. Some more interest in the area, like food stands, decorations outside the dome etc. would have been nice to see as a bonus.
8/10

I like the block choices, really fitting for an underwater theme.
7/10

Underwater spleef arena is pretty unique and looks good.
9/10

Love the idea of the underwater spleef arena. Stands out from the other spleef arenas on this map.
9/10

I like the use of concrete and prismarine materials. It looks nice. The arena being underwater is definitely unique, though I believe the use of a non-clear glass (perhaps blue or black) would enhance the water rather than distract from it.
7/10

I really like the idea of an underwater arena, and it's pulled off here pretty well, definitely unique. I like the build palette, though there's a lot of plain glass - Perhaps vary it up with some stained glass as well?
8/10

I think it's a good idea, and I like the design of the arena. The blocks have been selected to nicely show that you are underwater, and go with an underwater theme. With that being said, prismarine is very commonly associated with water-based builds, and I would like this a bit more if there were blocks that fit a water theme, but weren't necessarily prismarine or otherwise Ocean Monument-based blocks. Even some simple blocks like clay and concrete in the blues and purples would add some nice touches to the build while remaining with the water theme.

As for the spleef arena itself, I would like to see something different for the floor, and maybe more than 1 layer for the floor. Glass is used quite often, as are leaves (tho this doesn't have leaves), and while I recognize that not every block is easy to break by hand, there are other options available. Snow comes to mind, but there are other options as well. Something different would make the arena stand out a bit more than the others.
7/10

While we have spleef arenas often, this one is unique with the shape and design. I like the underwater theme of the arena and the round shape. The block colors are a nice choice and fit the theme well.
8/10

It certainly is unique to a degree, a dome shape is cool, as well as it being underwater. The color scheme is simple, white and teal with the prismarine. It works, but feels a bit bland. I'd suggest mixing it up a bit, throw in some colored glass, even if it's just white and cyan glass or something, break up the solid clear glass in some way. I'd also recommend lighting up the top of the dome, the dark glass doesn't really sit well with me, when it's the only thing dark in the whole arena. Maybe even throw some kind of designs on the top of the dome and walls to keep it visually appealing.
8/10

Arena Setup
67.5/100

Spoiler Expand
The play area of the arena is set up well, three floors is a good amount and they're all a nice size. The efficiency beacon is a nice touch and the regeneration effect will reduce the amount of time you have to stop and eat.

The downside would be the hosting area. It doesn't extend beyond the top floor, and the lift signs to reset the arena drop you into the pool unless there happens to be blocks there already. I'd like to see hosting areas on each floor, potentially on the west side replacing the lift signs which drop you nowhere.
6/10

I like that the arena is round rather than square. My biggest issue I think is that this arena needs viewing areas for the players and hosts beyond the first level. I feel like it might be hard for hosts to run and for players/visitors to see what is going on. Also when putting the floors back in at each level, it’s going to be hard to do and take a long time. Players will not want to sit and wait for a long time while you reset the floors. Adding a host area at each level with Supply chests will help make this run more smoothly.
5/10

It has all the basics of an arena, but I would like to see something different in the play area: All that is set up right now is a single glass floor, which doesn't show how the fully the arena could be used. I would like to see all 3 floors filled during the voting, and hopefully with more that just glass. Glass (and leaves, not present here) are the most common things used, but something simple like snow or ice blocks could also be used here to have different types of floors for different types of gameplay. Even if those floors are only set up for show during voting, it shows that the builder(s) plan to have a multi-type spleef arena, and are willing to set up interesting games, much like the Skylands Spleef Arena.
6/10

The arena is a nice size for a spleef arena, and since it's round it keeps players from just staying at the sides. Rules are present and players will be able to read them easily before going into the arena (since it's right at the door). Though, I'm not sure if the hosting area is that efficient, since you'll have to run to the door from the control area, and back to get up.
8/10

The arena is a circle, which prevents corner camping(Much to my chagrin, as someone who employs that tactic a lot), and is quite large. One thing I'm concerned about is that the hosts lift directly down to each level, with no hosting pod(for lack of a better word) in case there's no blocks there. Another thing I worry about is that there's no materials bin inside the hosting area, meaning to refill the layers the host has to go from the bridge up top after hosting a round, to the lift, to the materials bin outside, to back up to the bridge to lift to each floor, which is a long process, and may extend the time between rounds.
6.5/10

The circular shape of the arena is very nice. I like how you've got that set up to prevent corner-hogging and hiding. The hosting area might be a bit high up for seeing what's happening on the bottom layer - perhaps having a hosting tube of lifts like lava run might be helpful for that. I would love to see more space and stuff in the waiting area to add interest. Perhaps some plants, food, etc. would be nice.
7/10

Arena size is nice, however I worry about having to put the layers back in. With the lifts on the entrance side, they would only be useful for putting the layers back in if there were still blocks around that area. Potential for a hassle for re-layering. Could probably be easily fixed by placing a door on each layer to access. Hosting cross above, in my opinion, should all be transparent so that you can make sure to be able to see all of the layers while up there.
6/10

Not a bad setup, may have better visibility with light gray glass or gray glass. The hosting area could have been setup a little better to be able to easily view the other platforms.
6/10

The arena was built well. There's plenty of space inside the arena for games to take place. A nice walkway up above for the host to supervise each game and a way for them to get down to each level as well. However replacing each level between games is going to be an issue, I didn't notice an easy way to do it besides building up to each layer and replacing it from there. One or two more viewing platforms would be nice as well.
7/10

The technical part of the setup is very well done, no complaints here. Triple layered so it's not just a boring single or double layer, safety water at the bottom for fall damage, and the lift back up has been placed so there's no way a player can sneak back into the arena or accidently lift up into a wall. Host lift signs are private as well, so players can't sneak into the hosting floor unless they elytra or enderpearl up.
10/10

Stands & Surrounding Area
44.5/100

Spoiler Expand
The first floor of the arena is designed well. I like that spectators can get all around the arena. However the view of the 2nd and 3rd floors are very much limited, and there is no way down to access them (unless you have a water breathing potion and jump outside). I would have like to seen spectator areas for each of the floors.

The surrounding area isn't a huge issue since it is underwater, but it would have been nice if there had been some effort to landscape the area so it looked more natural.
5/10

I didn't really like the stands that much. There were only one floor, and some like looking on each floor at people. I didn't find a second or third, and the only floor you could see was the first. The surrounding area is just a cut in the ground, which doesn't bother me that much, but it would of been nice if it was it was a little landscaped or had a few other details put in.
4.5/10

The stands are only in the top making it difficult to see any action at the bottom. The surrounding area really needs some more work to make it appear more natural as opposed to just a hole cut in the ground.
4/10

So the spectator area around the top layer is good, however there is no area to see the different layers. It would be kind of frustrating to not be able to see if you were trying to watch the match. The area around the outside seems to be very stone cubish around the bottom, I think it would be nice to maybe light it up out there and terraform it a bit to be more natural.
4/10

The stands are fine for viewing the top level, but it's very hard to see anything going on down below. The water around the lower levels really restricts your vision. If there were one or two more viewing platforms down below that would be awesome.
The pit that was dug out for the arena does look a little weird. Maybe give it a little smoothing out, or even just re-texture the walls/ground so that it doesn't look like it was just cut out of the ground would be nice. Although adding more viewing platforms would help this as well.
5/10

There is simply a spectator ring around the top floor. This makes it difficult to see what's happening on the other floors of the arena. The surrounding area is water with what looks like a village nearby. Not much done here to add to the appeal of the arena.
4/10

The viewing area is nice, and allows you to see all angles, but I would like to see more floors, so you can see the action when everyone's dropped down to lower levels. The surrounding area doesn't need very much work because it's an ocean, but some landscaping under the arena would have been nice.
7/10

This could definately do with some work. While it's fairly untouched and neat, I would like to see something more in the viewing area. Whether the intended purpose was utilitarian or not, having a veiwing area that is decorated and looks pretty adds a lot to the arena, even if the decorations serve 0 functional purpose to the arena. I would like to see a lot more here to add to the viewing area.
3/10

The stands are nice but only at the top level. it's really hard to see from the viewing area what's going on below. I would definitely add viewing areas at each level.
Surrounding area appears to be your village. It’s pretty simple and undecorated.
Players always like spleef, but to get them to come back and play, you definitely want it to be easy to run and well set up. I think with some more work this could be a fun arena.
6/10

There's a full circle round spectating floor around the entrance/first floor... but that's about it. There aren't any other stands, and even when pressing up against the glass, you can't see half of what's happening once it reaches down to 2nd floor, much less 3rd floor.

Surrounding area could definitely use some work as well. It's underwater, which is cool, but there's nothing in the water at all. It feels only a little better than if this same arena was placed underground surrounded by stone. Maybe build a few fish in the water, and light them up so it catches the eye, or maybe some seaweed at the bottom and brighten it up. Get creative!
2/10

[Image: aoLQ5TU.jpg?1]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)