Current time: 07-17-2019, 05:08 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
[Town] Hoth
04-09-2019, 01:43 PM
RE: Hoth
The vote has been started, results around April 23rd. Good luck!

[Image: bsIuV2o.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-12-2019, 09:42 AM
Best of luck team Hoth.

[Image: kFiF9xA.jpg]
Mayor of the leafy village of Ellndale
04-15-2019, 08:43 AM
Good luck! Smile

[Image: aSZ5o3F.png]
04-18-2019, 09:24 AM
Oh Wow! 23rd of april is also the planned release date for 1.14

[Image: oO8XviX.png]
[Image: f59LMdD.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-25-2019, 02:03 PM
Hello!

With a final score of 359/500 or 72%, I am pleased to say that Hoth is a passing town. Congratulations!

A detailed break down of the vote can be provided if you would like.

As a passing town, you are able to purchase a portal for 1,000 cubes.

As of CV 6.0 towns can now design their own portal. The requirements are as follows:

- The interior of the portal in your town can be a maximum of 8x8x3
- The hub portal can be a maximum of 5x6(including floor)x3
- The portal frame can be made of any material, it does not need to be obsidian.
- The portal can be any shape you like.
- The portal must have a back wall.
- It should be obvious to players that it is a portal.
- You can choose up to three player heads of founders (including the mayor) to be part of the portal design.

04-25-2019, 02:43 PM
Yay! Thank you! Could we get the detailed info at your convenience?

[Image: OjFAR0O.jpg]
04-25-2019, 05:50 PM
Congratulations Smile

[Image: AcqV4Nc.jpg]
04-25-2019, 07:14 PM
Gratz HOTH.

[Image: gH5DYm3.png]
04-25-2019, 07:16 PM
Yay team Hoth!

[Image: OBzvmfZ.jpg]
04-25-2019, 09:00 PM
Congrats guys, well deserved :3

[Image: 5TZYgvN.png]
04-26-2019, 10:19 AM
Congrats guys! Big Grin

[Image: aSZ5o3F.png]
04-26-2019, 12:45 PM
RE: [Town] Hoth
Voting Results:

Town Design: 72.5/100
Spoiler Expand
Overall the town followed a very simple medieval look, which fit very well with the snow theme. At first I wasn't sure that the star wars builds would fit with the medieval feel the rest of the town gave, but it was pulled off nicely. The blocks banned from builds didn't include anything I found odd either, so that is nice as well.
There were however a few builds I didn't think matched the theme. While I get what you were going for with the Mos Eisley cantina, it did stand out a bit too much in my opinion, being the only sandstone in an arctic forest. The iron farm, and animal farm buildings could have used a little work as well, they didn't fit the rest of the town as well as they could have. The pigman farm was closer to the theme than the rest imo, I do wish that it had been placed underground, or inside of a less nether-brick building, but it's out of the way so it's not as big a deal as the others.
Generally a very nice town design, just a few buildings I would have liked changed
7.5/10

I like the theme here. Everything fits in with either the Star Wars theme, or a winter theme. The only exception I can see to this is the animal farm, which just appears to be a box. Maybe I'm missing the reference, but to me, it's a brick. It's clear that time and thought has gone into the builds here. Maybe they aren't all made out of super expensive or intracate items, but they all work really well together. Good in this section.
7.5/10

I thought the town design was nice and followed the same snowy town vibe mixed in with some Star Wars elements. The houses follow nicely with the theme, and all were pretty well built. The ships were a nice addition, and personally I like the hot springs. However, I feel like the animal farm could of added a nice addition to the theme next time around, as it's a pretty simple box in contrast to the other builds. Same to the Iron Farm, but both have good uses to them. You might want to take a little bit more time with those builds in the future. Overall, the town was pretty well built in my opinion.
8/10

The town design seemed to have 2 competing themes going on here. Star Wars meets Camelot. There just seems to be a clash of 2 worlds, however most of the builds for each of the themes are done well and shows there was effort put in to make a nice looking town overall. Some of the unique builds didn't really follow either of the themes and definitely should have. The cantina, the iron farms and the animal farms just didn't seem to fit the overall feel of the town. I would have liked to seen more of a single theme but with the 2 themes, every building should have fit either one or the other. In general, not a bad job but would have liked to have seen a bit more effort to make all the builds feel like they belong to the same town.
6/10

There are two distinct styles at play here; the nordic theme of the majority of housing and public buildings, and the Star Wars themed builds. I'm not sure how well the two work together. The AT-AT Walker makes some sense as it followed the block palette of the town at least, but the cantina is from a desert planet dropped onto a snowy themed town and the pigman farm is a giant block of netherbrick in a town that doesn't use netherbrick anywhere else. Whilst I do like the look of the town overall, I think you might have benefited from choosing one theme rather than trying to put two sometimes conflicting themes into one town.
My only other feedback in terms of design is the snow. Whilst I understand the need for lighting, it leaves the town feeling very patchy with snow dotted around between lit areas. It might have been better to make use of double snow layers (this blocks spawning) or to replace the grass with snow blocks and then add the lighting. I won't complain about a town being well lit but I do think it could have been done in ways that accentuate the frozen north theme the town has going on.
6.5/10

I like the theme idea, just seems a little hit and miss. I get the Star Wars items, but the buildings don't feel like they fit the theme.
7/10

I like how you've included the natural biome in your wall construction. Also the dead grass (grass paths) in your road fit in well.
It feels like there's almost too much spruce and dark oak in the town. I love spruce - it's my favorite of the wood types - but the sheer amount of spruce logs and dark oak everything in the builds makes the skyline look dark in stark contrast to the snow on the ground.
I like the inclusion of the AT-AT and R2-D2 in Hoth (as a Star Wars reference).
I appreciate the speed beacons. It's an essential part of any town, especially one as big as this
Just a random comment: I was just standing there in Hoth, minding my own business when a snow golem died in the rain right next to me. Rip snow golem.
7/10

There's two very prevalent themes here, snowy medieval and Starwars, which I like. The town follows them pretty closely, but the pigman farm and the cantina don't fit that, so I would try to edit at least the outside to make it more coherent with the rest of the builds.
8/10

I feel like Hoth has two different personalities at play- the Nordic/Arctic theme of most of the residential builds, and the Star Wars theme of much of the decor. For elements such as the AT-AT, this is actually pulled off surprisingly well by blending the two, thus evoking the ice planet Hoth (hence the village name I'm guessing). However, for a few builds such as the cantina- which is from Star Wars, but the wrong planet and a completely different build palette- it is a little jarring. Then, builds such as the iron farm and pigman farm don't fit with either theme, and I don't quite know what to make of them.
7.5/10

I like the star wars builds, and I like the block style of the homes, but I'm not sure I like them together. I feel like if you wanted to go starwars, you could choose to theme the builds entirely that way. Some things are really out of place design wise, like the pigmen farm, iron farm, and cantina. I'm also curious to what you're planning to do with the huge space of natural trees.
7.5/10

Layout and Ease of Movement: 63.5/100
Spoiler Expand
Similar sections are grouped together, such as the residential district, the founder district, and a lot of the village resources. The directional signs posted are fairly straightforward, but there were some instances where I was told to go in a direction, then not told to turn at the next intersection, and was confused when I couldn't find the building I was looking for. My personal preference is that every big/main intersection should have directional signs, especially if you need to turn to get to a build. Other than that, nicely done here.
8/10

This category I felt could have been much better. Generally things are grouped together, such as the post office and home plots, and all the shops being together. The farms were more or less next to each other, although I did think the placement of the iron farm was very weird. There was plenty of empty space near the other farms yet it was placed out in the opposite corner of the town, with no path leading directly there.
I had trouble finding my way around some parts of the town, many times the paths would wind through the forest when I felt they should be direct, and vice-versa. A few more signs would have been nice, especially pointing towards the shopping area. And a path leading to the air field and/or watch tower would have been helpful. Unless you went off-road those are both pretty difficult to get to.
The town center also seemed to be isolated from most of the town, though that may just be me nit-picking at this point. Generally I think that the layout could have used some work.
5.5/10

I like the roads, they're large and clear. I feel that they could have used signs at more of the intersections, I got lost several times. This is a very large village/town and can get confusing.
6/10

The layout was fine, and the paths are well placed. Though, I did have some trouble finding a bunch of buildings in the town. At the portal hub, I would of liked to see some signs for helping find things that would bring them back to the town, like the Pigman Spawner. It took me a few tries to actually find some of the farms, the shopping mall and the actual town hall. I got lost finding my way back to the portal as well. It's not a requirement, but it would help players find their way around.
7.5/10

I got lost. Many times. There didn't seem to be enough signs, and where I did find signs, I had to walk around to find the one that was pointing to where I wanted to go rather than it being visible as I was walking up to an intersection. The town center wasn't really in the center of town and the roads seemed to meander just a bit. I think you did well with the placement of the farms as as I know the mobcap limitations cause issues with mobs spawning and I think you did well trying to place things where everything would continue to function. More signs and a bit more logical layout of the roads would go a long way.
6/10

It's a little tricky to navigate because there's not pattern behind the location of things. Sitll better than just gridding everything.
5/10

The roads are a good size and easy to follow. I found there were times where I didn't know where I was going as direction signs can be somewhat sparse. This can be particularly difficult with the large areas that have been left as trees since it can be difficult to see through them to find builds you're looking for.
The layout seems sensible to me and once you have found everything there is a logic to the placement. Overall I'm happy with this category but some more signs would definitely help.
7/10

I did struggle to find things... Things were placed relatively close together, but there still wasn't enough signage, so sometimes I got confused because I needed to turn, but it didn't tell me to.
6.5/10

The signs, where placed, look nice and are very clear. There could really be LOTS more direction signs - like one at every intersection.
I was not able to find a shopping district. Does one exist? I saw rules about it, but couldn't find it :/
Some of the most popular resources could stand to be closer to your portal area, but the closeness of the elytra platform to your portal serves to benefit this issue...for players with elytra anyway.
6/10

Many things were clustered together, which was convenient, but I do feel that there could have been more signs or another way of indicating direction. I soon found myself looking for various builds by climbing to the top of the AT-AT and looking around, as the roads didn't always lead where they appeared to be going at first.
6/10

Commodities and Amenities: 76.5/100
Spoiler Expand
I like your piggeh farm - curious how the Zelda (right?) stuff ties in with Star Wars, but meh - you can geek out all you want
I like the design of the animal farms. Great idea having individual floors for the animals - no chance of escape >:}
I did finally find the shopping area - it's a cantina...I didn't think a cantina would be a shopping mall area lol. There is space for several little shop areas, but I wonder if it's enough for a town this size.
7/10

The pigman farm is nice(though as a few other voters noted, not sure what Zelda has to do with Starwars but that's okay), and the animal farm is good - Plain breed and kill, but that's pretty standard. One suggestion I have is to always always ALWAYS have extra animals hidden somewhere. Inevitably, someone is going to ignore your messages saying to leave four, and so having extras is a good idea.
8/10

There was everything that a resident would need. The farms had plenty of variety of animals and vegetation. The amenities like the pigman farm and iron farms are always a plus for anyone living there. With the size of the area, I think there could have been some other exotic farms to be built. The more luxuries you have for residents the more people will want to move in, and the more visitors you will attract.
8/10

Plenty of crops to choose from and a nice amount of mob farms (+iron and piggy). Possibly would be nice if there were another layer for crops like wheat and potatoes, as a lot of players uses those specific crops for food.
7.5/10

The Pigman Farm will definitely get used a lot, everyone loves a good XP farm.
I can't really count the iron farm as a commodity, since it's only available for purchase, it's more like another shop.
7/10

I think the town did fairly well in this category. The crop farms were nothing incredible, though there were a few that you don't see in every single town, such as cactus. The basic animals were all available and there were enough for a decent sized farm as well. The XP farm was a great size and will be used very often I think. I do wish that the iron farm was a little closer to the other farms, and that it was free to use, though it was a bigger farm than normal so that does help make up for it.
I do wish there were a few more of the more exotic farms, such as snow or slime, but as those aren't used quite as often I see why they weren't added. And I guess having a snow farm in the arctic would be a little ironic...
8/10

There is definately a lot that is village-provided. This includes the shop that is right after the prospective portal area. Plenty of farms of varying types, I like the pigman and iron farms as a nice touch. Animal farms are good, and there are plenty of mobs in them. I think this section is quite well done. If there were to be improvements, I would suggest thinking about not-as-normal things that a village could provide, such as a netherwart farm, mushroom/mooshroom farm, mycelium farm, creeper spawners or other less-common resources like that. Those would be unique and quite useful resources.
8/10

The pigman farm may not match the theme of the rest of Hoth, but it appears to be highly efficient and will likely be a large draw for visitors. The animal farms look excellent; same for the iron farm, though it doesn't appear to be free to use. Finally, the little shop with starter build materials for new residents is a handy idea- I do personally find its location right outside the portal somewhat tacky, but I'm not going to take points off for that, I feel that that's personal preference.
8/10

As with all towns the pigman farm will be a popular attraction (it was nice of you to credit EoN with the crusher design...I wonder where they got their design from... *cough*). There are a good variety of crop and animal farms in the town. The iron farm is nice but it is effectively a shop so I wouldn't call it a town resource. I don't see any farms beyond what I would consider the 'basics' for a good town, but the farms that you do have are efficient. The builds that house them could have had some more attention given to them to match the town design. The greenhouse for the crops is nice but the animal tower sticks out for the amount of glass and the grass layers as floors. The iron farms are just stone cubes with all the iron golem piping visible and not visibly appealing. Form can be just as important as function.
7/10

A good varity of available materials and items for use. Maybe getting a few more shops would help here.
8/10

Sustainability: 74.5/100
Spoiler Expand
Hoth looks to already have quite a healthy population, which is good! However, it appears to need to expand more- there seem to be plans for expansion, which is a relief. While you make new plots, I would recommend considering throwing in some shop plots- there is limited space in the cantina, and some sellers are going to be more attracted by the idea of their own shop. Regarding the crop farms- in my opinion, they're a bit skimpy for a population this size, let alone one that's going to be growing. I would definitely recommend expanding wheat, carrots, and potatoes at the least. As mentioned previously, the animal farms are a good size for a village/town with this population.
7/10

There's a ton of plots here, though it looks like many of them taken. It looks like you guys have plans to add more plots though, so that will help with that problem. I did notice there weren't very many(Or any it looks like?) shop plots... There is the Cantina, but some players would prefer to have their own shop, so I think having some of those would be good.
I don't think there are enough crops for the size of the town... I would add a few more levels for some of the more popular crops, like wheat and carrots.
The animal farm is a reasonable size for the town.
7.5/10

There are a good number of both residential and commercial plots, and plenty of free space for the town to expand the plot availability within the walls. If every plot was filled and every person relied on the Hoth crop farms to get their food or rebreed animals I think it would struggle to keep up so an expansion there might be useful. Adding more luxury resource farms might encourage shops to setup here as well. At the moment people can only farm very basic materials which doesn't make for good shop variety if they are relying on the town to help stock them.
8/10

There were plenty of players already moved in, and lots of space for more home plots as well, though I didn't see many currently empty plots. There were enough shop plots for a decent sized town, but not many had been sold yet. The farms were all a decent enough size that they'll be able to keep the town going, specifically the animal farms.
7.5/10

Plenty of plots, and room for more if needed. There is also a shopping mall, which would be good for players to sell and buy from, which I like. There are enough crops and mobs to go around, and the EXP farm looks good for players who might need EXP while walking around.
7/10

There are plenty of plots, and if there ever arises a need for more shops and/or residential, there is even more space that Hoth could allocate towards those plots without the need to expand. As covered above, the various farms are plentiful, and should sustain a bigger population than Hoth has at the moment. As far as shops go, there are plenty of those available, and as mentioned before, room for expansion if needed. One suggestion that could improve this area is to have pre-built shops, where all the player has to do is get added to the chest and put up a shop sign. Some players don't like having the hassle of building a full shop in addition to stocking it, so this could allow those players to contribute to the economy without large amounts of input required.
9/10

There seem to be a good number of house and shop plots at a good size. While the animal farms seems to be a good size for the town, I feel that the food farm is not large enough to sustain the town. I would add another layer of wheat, carrots, and maybe potatoes, to better serve everyone.
8/10

Plenty of plots, plenty of shops and plenty of variety. Also you have room to add more plots and shops without having to add more land area which is always a good thing.
8.5/10

Food farms are diverse, but given the size of the town, I'm not sure they're large enough.
Like I mentioned above, I am not sure if the size of the shopping area is large enough to sustain an active shopping district.
6/10

Took me a few moments to locate the crop farms. The feel like they're a little small for a village this size. The greenhouse looks good though.
6/10

Surrounding Area: 39/50
Spoiler Expand
Clean and mostly well lit, there are several random spots of 7's (including one just outside your main gate) which could cause mobs to spawn.
4.5/5

It is well lit, and there are many access points into the town. Untouched is ok, but I would have liked to have seen some paths as you got closer to the openings to kind of make them a bit more evident that they are there, and the main entrance probably should have had a nice path leading up to the town.
4/5

The surrounding area was lit up a good ways out, and there didn't appear to be any ravines or other holes dug out. No nubshacks to speak of, though there is one dirt hut at the very edge of the lit area. Though other than lighting there doesn't appear to be anything special done to the area, it looks like there are several other villages starting up near there, perhaps building some nice paths connecting you to them?
3.5/5

The outside looks good, all lit up and I did not find any mobs lurking about. Nothing else I have to say.
5/5

Clean, untouched except for lightning and cosmetics to keep within the theme. Can't complain here.
5/5

The area is well lit and otherwise seems untouched. There are some spots where I feel a little effort would have improved the look of the surrounding area but it is safe and natural looking at least.
4/5

Kinda barren out there, there's so many trees inside the village and like next to nothing outside. Just seems really uneven.
3/5

The surrounding area is well-lit, but nothing spectacular worth noting.
3/5

Mostly well-lit, though there are dark patches that I would definitely check over again. I personally would have landscaped the nbz slightly for a better lead-in to Hoth, but that's a minor nitpick.
3.5/5

Pretty well lit up, and relatively untouched - I did notice several splotches where it wasn't entirely lit up, so should probably go over it again at some point. I feel like you could've put a few minor builds out here, or a path, but that's not at all necessary.
3.5/5

Town Wall: 33/50
Spoiler Expand
The town wall was nice to look at, and mostly fit the theme of the town. I do think adding a little bit of dark oak along the top or bottom of the wall would have been a great touch. I did like the ability to walk inside the wall, though it was undecorated, even the ground was left as plain grass. I do think that giving the interior of the wall a bit of work would be nice. Perhaps even theme the inside to look like the rebel base on Hoth, in movie 5?
3/5

3-high? yes
Within the theme? yes
Lit up/safe/effective? yes*
Improvement? yes - could be more than ice and snow blocks. While it is a nice pattern, there could be more done to make it more intracate and appealing to the eye, versus a more utilitarian-based wall. Also, the * on safe: Spiders can still scale this thing, but they would have to either get lucky and make it across the entire lit NBZ to scale the wall on their own (unlikely), or the more likely thing that they could follow a player and then still scale it. Chance of this happening is still low, but it's a risk.
4/5

Is it a wall? Yeah! It works as a wall, and covers the whole village. I do think that the design of the wall could of been a lot theme wise. I would of liked to see a wall that stands out with the colours, maybe adding a few spruce pillars and such. All in all, it's a wall and it works!
4/5

The wall is simple, but not terrible exciting. Given the block choices for the builds, A really nice wall could have been made with the same types of blocks. However, it does the job. It is possible for spiders to get over your wall.
4.5/5

The wall meets the requirements for a wall, but I would have liked to have seen it fit one of the two themes a bit more. It was a bit plain. Also, the wall is not completely mob proof, a town wall should also have a ledge that spiders can't get in. While the area is well lit, and it may be rare, a spider could still get in if it happened to follow some nub running for their life to the safety of your town.
2.5/5

The wall is simple and does its job. It would certainly have benefitted from a little more consideration from an aesthetic point of view, the wall materials are not used much else around the town and it might have helped to use some of that wood from the town block palette as support beams for an ice wall perhaps. Where the wall runs over water there is no variation in design, it simple continues with dirt under it. Whilst real life physics don't apply in minecraft, there is something jarring about seeing a big ice wall continue over water with not a support beam in sight. Maybe it is just me, but I think either a variation in design as the wall goes over water, or just throwing in some support beams every now and then, would improve the look of the wall. However, all that being said, the wall does indeed do its job and is not unappealing to look at.
3/5

The wall is functional, but not very interesting. Would have been nice to seem some depth to it, not so flat.
3/5

The town wall is made up of biome-specific materials, which is nice. However there is no real craftsmanship shown. It also doesn't particularly match the town theme of wood and stone.
3/5

I like the design of the wall itself, but I would really like to see more gates - Right now it appears there's only one per side, which given the size of the town seems pretty insufficient - Maybe add 2-3 more per wall?
3/5

Lovely design, but only two gates as far as I can tell, and a bit flat- not only would some dimension add a little visual interest, but it could be used to make the wall spider-resistant, which it currently is not.
3/5

Grand Total: 359/500 = 72%

04-27-2019, 06:25 AM
RE: [Town] Hoth
Congrats team Hoth on your new status. I really must get over for a visit, only looked at on the map so far.

[Image: kFiF9xA.jpg]
Mayor of the leafy village of Ellndale

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)