Current time: 04-26-2019, 08:21 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Computer Part Purchase Advice
04-10-2019, 07:59 PM
Computer Part Purchase Advice
So I decided that I want to build a computer to take the heavier jobs that my MacBook is currently handling. These include video editing and playing video games (Minecraft is a definite! Tongue) among other things. Does anyone have any part suggestions? I want this computer to last for a while before I need to upgrade the parts in it.

[Image: 1zgJ2og.jpg]
"Some days stay a thousand years, some pass like the flash of a spark. Who knows where all our days go?"
-East of Eden, Big Country
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-10-2019, 08:50 PM (This post was last modified: 04-10-2019 08:52 PM by Terror_on_Earth.)
RE: Computer Part Purchase Advice
(04-10-2019 07:59 PM)Commodore_VIC_20 Wrote:  So I decided that I want to build a computer to take the heavier jobs that my MacBook is currently handling. These include video editing and playing video games (Minecraft is a definite! Tongue) among other things. Does anyone have any part suggestions? I want this computer to last for a while before I need to upgrade the parts in it.

I could give you a ton of advice and such. But to start it really depends on your budget. What range were you looking at spending?
Also i highly recommend the site pcpartpicker.com

it checks compatibility and pricing across websites. also it keeps all your components in one location.
04-10-2019, 09:13 PM
(04-10-2019 08:50 PM)Terror_on_Earth Wrote:  
(04-10-2019 07:59 PM)Commodore_VIC_20 Wrote:  So I decided that I want to build a computer to take the heavier jobs that my MacBook is currently handling. These include video editing and playing video games (Minecraft is a definite! Tongue) among other things. Does anyone have any part suggestions? I want this computer to last for a while before I need to upgrade the parts in it.

I could give you a ton of advice and such. But to start it really depends on your budget. What range were you looking at spending?
Also i highly recommend the site pcpartpicker.com

it checks compatibility and pricing across websites. also it keeps all your components in one location.

Ok, thanks! I was looking at maybe an extreme maximum of around $1000, but that is a very optimistic number.

"Some days stay a thousand years, some pass like the flash of a spark. Who knows where all our days go?"
04-11-2019, 06:55 AM
Cool, your building your own computer.
I don’t have much experience with computers, (unless you count dissecting all Mraccess’s computers) but I know this, if you put the hardrive(s) near the fan edge, it won’t get as hot. So that means you can pack fill it’s memory and have less worry! (To my experience)

[||||||||||]
04-11-2019, 07:07 AM
(04-11-2019 06:55 AM)vip2kea Wrote:  Cool, your building your own computer.
I don’t have much experience with computers, (unless you count dissecting all Mraccess’s computers) but I know this, if you put the hardrive(s) near the fan edge, it won’t get as hot. So that means you can pack fill it’s memory and have less worry! (To my experience)

Ok, thanks for the tip! Do you know if that applies to only mechanical hard drives or if solid state hard drives would also benefit from this? Smile

04-11-2019, 07:10 AM
(04-11-2019 07:07 AM)Commodore_VIC_20 Wrote:  

Ok, thanks for the tip! Do you know if that applies to only mechanical hard drives or if solid state hard drives would also benefit from this? Smile

Ssds generate basically no heat. So it doesnt matter to much where they are located. Later tonight I can type up a list to give you an idea of components I would recommend .
04-11-2019, 10:52 AM (This post was last modified: 04-11-2019 10:56 AM by vip2kea.)
(04-11-2019 07:10 AM)Terror_on_Earth Wrote:  

Ssds generate basically no heat. So it doesnt matter to much where they are located. Later tonight I can type up a list to give you an idea of components I would recommend .
Oh right I forgot, he’s looking for new parts, not some filled up old hard drive XD. sorry

If you need to cut corners and use really old parts, put them next to the fan.

[||||||||||]
04-11-2019, 06:39 PM

Ok, thanks! That is much appreciated! Big Grin

(04-11-2019 10:52 AM)vip2kea Wrote:  

Oh right I forgot, he’s looking for new parts, not some filled up old hard drive XD. sorry

If you need to cut corners and use really old parts, put them next to the fan.

Ok Big Grin

04-11-2019, 09:58 PM (This post was last modified: 04-11-2019 09:58 PM by Terror_on_Earth.)
so here is a link to a similar build to the one i just did. obviously if you dont like or want rgb u can change those parts out.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/P9nMhy

One of the biggest keys to buildings a computer is compatibility. Socket type of motherboard and cpu must match. I didn't include my case because i couldnt find it on pcpartpicker but i use the H700i by NZXT.

And for a power supply i would pick something probably around 750w and rated at bronze+

Monitor, keyboard, and mouse are other discussions also. Not sure if you already had or needed them.
04-12-2019, 07:02 AM
(04-11-2019 09:58 PM)Terror_on_Earth Wrote:  so here is a link to a similar build to the one i just did. obviously if you dont like or want rgb u can change those parts out.

One of the biggest keys to buildings a computer is compatibility. Socket type of motherboard and cpu must match. I didn't include my case because i couldnt find it on pcpartpicker but i use the H700i by NZXT.

And for a power supply i would pick something probably around 750w and rated at bronze+

Monitor, keyboard, and mouse are other discussions also. Not sure if you already had or needed them.

Ok, thanks! I already have a mouse, keyboard, and monitor but I could use to upgrade the latter two. Do you know of a keyboard that sounds and feels like an IBM Model M? Also, What is a good quality but inexpensive monitor that is around 27" in size and has HDMI and VGA?

04-12-2019, 07:47 AM
(04-12-2019 07:02 AM)Commodore_VIC_20 Wrote:  
(04-11-2019 09:58 PM)Terror_on_Earth Wrote:  so here is a link to a similar build to the one i just did. obviously if you dont like or want rgb u can change those parts out.

Ok, thanks! I already have a mouse, keyboard, and monitor but I could use to upgrade the latter two. Do you know of a keyboard that sounds and feels like an IBM Model M? Also, What is a good quality but inexpensive monitor that is around 27" in size and has HDMI and VGA?

Never used that keyboard so I wouldn't know. I love mechanical keyboards though. I use the razer blackwidow chroma elite. But there are many other great keyboards as well. Now for a monitor, there are sooo many things to look at. And modern monitor has hdmi and many still have vga. I would definitely get something that is full hd 1920x1080. I would also recommend getting one with a refresh rate of 144hz. But that's really up to you. It all depends on what you want to spend.
04-12-2019, 05:49 PM
(04-12-2019 07:47 AM)Terror_on_Earth Wrote:  
(04-12-2019 07:02 AM)Commodore_VIC_20 Wrote:  

Never used that keyboard so I wouldn't know. I love mechanical keyboards though. I use the razer blackwidow chroma elite. But there are many other great keyboards as well. Now for a monitor, there are sooo many things to look at. And modern monitor has hdmi and many still have vga. I would definitely get something that is full hd 1920x1080. I would also recommend getting one with a refresh rate of 144hz. But that's really up to you. It all depends on what you want to spend.

Ok, thanks for the advice Smile

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)