Current time: 12-16-2018, 11:51 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
[Event] CV Summer Games 2018
06-25-2018, 12:18 PM
[Event] CV Summer Games 2018
Hi everyone! So, summer is here, and with it comes the school holidays and plenty of time to hang out on CV (if you're lucky). To help you fill that time, we are happy to announce that from tomorrow (26th June) until the end of July we will be running the CV Summer Games. These will be fixed events hosted each day where you can play to potentially win points towards awesome prizes. For anyone who was here for last years summer tournaments, the system has changed a lot, so make sure you read everything below.

How do the summer games work?

At fixed times each day staff will host one of the minigames we have here on Cubeville. It could be Spleef, PvP (Free For All only), DynaDude, FloatyFeather, LavaRun, Naval Battle, Obstacle Course or in certain slots, Players Choice. Any players will be welcome to attend and the staff member hosting will explain how each game will work. They will be slightly different than usual in some cases due to the nature of hosting vs just randomly playing.

For each game that a player wins they will receive a point. After the first few weeks of the games an NPC will arrive in CVC who will trade win points for a variety of cool prizes. We aren't announcing the prizes just yet but they will certainly be worth your time! There won't be any long running tournaments like last year, you get one win point per game you win and they all go into your pot towards prizes. We hope that this keeps things fun for all and doesn't only reward those who can play consistently each day.

There won't be any games on Sundays to allow staff a break each week.

Sportsmanship and Fair Play

We're all here on CV to have a good time and, as competitive as they can get, minigames should be fun above all else. Not everyone can win each game and you shouldn't allow this to get you down or make you angry. There will be a lot of games to be played through the next 5 weeks and there is always another chance to win. What matters is everyone having a good time.

To that end, anyone who cannot handle playing games nicely, who cannot lose without flipping out and who cannot win without trying to make others feel bad, may be banned from the Summer Games. For behaviour that goes against the server rules normal punishments would apply. This is a zero tolerance policy. Staff are taking time out of their day to host and you will not argue with them or turn a game into a negative experience for other players.

Multiple Accounts

Each player may use only one account per scheduled session. Attempting to bypass this rule may lead to all of your accounts being removed from that day's games. Repeated violations will lead to a ban from all summer games.

FAQ

If you have any questions about the summer games, post them in this thread and answers will appear here.

How can I view my win points? Once the NPC arrives in CVC they will be able to tell you your total points. Until then, you can ask staff who will be able to look at the win list for you.

Can we only win points from the scheduled games? Any games hosted during the next 5 weeks are eligible for points. The scheduled games are just to give everyone a guaranteed opportunity to play each day.

Can I still get a prize if I only win one point? You certainly can, there will be a range of prizes on offer and the lowest is guaranteed to cost only one point. So if over the next five weeks you only manage to win one game of spleef, you can still benefit.

Why is PvP FFA only? The idea of the games this year is to keep things simple for players and to avoid the longer term tournament system from last year which, whilst fun, froze out some players from competing. Team PvP requires players to be online for the full length of a game or penalise their team by leaving, it requires more organisation from the staff side and some players end up struggling to find a team. FFA is just all around easier and if a player has to go and logs out then the only person losing out is them. It just seemed like the better option.

[Image: 7ciirExl.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-25-2018, 11:56 PM (This post was last modified: 06-25-2018 11:56 PM by AstronomicDonuts.)
RE: [Event] CV Summer Games 2018
This sounds really awesome! I can't wait to play! Big Grin

Thanks so much staff team! <3

Mayor of CV6 Village 'MountainView'
[Image: AcqV4Nc.jpg]
06-26-2018, 01:42 AM (This post was last modified: 06-26-2018 01:54 AM by Ares_Child.)
I KNEW IT THE WHOLE TIME! TY I can't wait to beat Spam in every competition! Love ya Wally.

Love ya too Spam

06-26-2018, 05:08 AM
ono I wont be playing :3

[Image: MCNT_575155bb22163_2.png]
Nubbing on CV since 9th May 2015
Proud Mayor of Inferno CV 5
Proud Mayor of Piraeus CV 6
"The Great Delfic Omletacle!"
06-26-2018, 09:26 AM
Woo!!! Big Grin
YAYAY!!!!
<3 games
I won’t be able to go to all the games, but I will try to go to some!!!

[||||||||||][$]vip2kea(C): Hi CV!

Joined near Feb 2015
Got SK somewhere in map 5 2016
Got $ rank on June 15th 2018
Got blockhead perk on November 15th 2018
06-26-2018, 10:52 AM
Day One is here, hooray! Big Grin #summergameshype

To anybody who wants to see the festivities from multiple angles, or can't make it to the events, or simply wants to tune in, I'll be streaming the opening games today at 1pm and 7pm EDT. I'll be in Discord while I do so, so feel free to hop in and commentate! You can be the newest melm-munching citizen or the most powerful SA, or anybody in between; you're all welcome to join in on the fun Smile

(Just a quick reminder that my channel is not an official CV stream or anything like that, just me having some fun lol- for more info, see this thread. Many thanks to the CV powers-that-be for permitting me to "borrow" a Discord lounge while streaming Smile)

[Image: HM6zoHB.jpg]
[Image: VdSttKI.png]
Finally gathered together: Gifts/Fanarts/Shenanigans, Hooray! Big Grin
06-26-2018, 12:12 PM
Okay just a quick question, why in PVP is it FFA only?

[Image: 59gMftq.png]
Gold is Derp
Gold Is Love
Gold is all
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-26-2018, 12:29 PM
I might observe sometimes. I am so not a minigamer at all lol.

Mostly blind CV gamer mamma with a hammy CV loving kiddo. Exclamation
06-26-2018, 01:13 PM
I'll be there!!

[Image: E85Ici0.jpg?1]
06-26-2018, 02:24 PM
I love the points idea! Now real life won't mess me up as much as last time Tongue

According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly. Its wings are too small to get its fat little body off the ground. The bee, of course, flies anyway because bees don't care what humans think is impossible. Yellow, black. Yellow, black. Yellow, black. Yellow, black. Ooh, black and yellow! Let's shake it up a little. Barry! Break
06-26-2018, 06:17 PM
Sad #Tissosad cause I miss them. Here's hoping I get to be there for a few.

[Image: QC6qx5D.png]
And Quest Builder. Smile
06-26-2018, 07:51 PM
Wally, is there going to be a command that you can view how many points you have so far?

[Image: 5117534.png]
06-26-2018, 11:21 PM
I'd like to express some concern over well, several things.

First are the listed times in the table the only games that will grant "Points" or are there going to be other games that the various Staff members can run at their leisure(like normal) that grant "Points" as well?

If the listed games are it, how are people with non-standard schedules supposed to participate? Both of the games during the days of the week are only six hours apart, and even with the third game on Saturday they all fit within a twelve hour clump.

You mentioned we won't be able to see or purchase the prizes until "A few weeks in" which I would take as being three to four weeks into the five week event, which means we won't know if it's worth the time and effort for them until it's already too late to participate.

Which brings me too my next point, I'm concerned about the possibly high prices of these rewards since it wouldn't be hard to arbitrarily label everything three-five "Points" making it very difficult to get even one item.
There are a total of 63 "Points" up for grabs(Again assuming only the games listed in the table). If I somehow managed to join in time for half the total games and won 1/10 of the games I entered I would end up with a grand total of three "Points".
Considering I hadn't even heard of "Naval Battle" or "Floaty Feather" until a week ago or that I've only seen Lava Run active maybe twice and the amount of people I'd expect in these games 1/10 win rate is probably a little generous.

I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm focusing on only the win points, but in my opinion aside from the odd selection of games they're the main draw to play over normal everyday games.

Throw me into a lake and I'll make it the second Dead Sea.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proudly waiting for quests, only four and a half years and counting.
06-27-2018, 03:42 AM
(06-26-2018 12:12 PM)DracoJack Wrote:  Okay just a quick question, why in PVP is it FFA only?

The idea of the games this year is to keep things simple for players and to avoid the longer term tournament system from last year which, whilst fun, froze out some players from competing. Team PvP requires players to be online for the full length of a game or penalise their team by leaving, it requires more organisation from the staff side and some players end up struggling to find a team. FFA is just all around easier and if a player has to go and logs out then the only person losing out is them. It just seemed like the better option.

(06-26-2018 07:51 PM)Eureka2013 Wrote:  Wally, is there going to be a command that you can view how many points you have so far?

Once the NPC arrives in CVC you'll be able to ask them to view your points. Until then you can ask staff who can look at the win list for you.

(06-26-2018 11:21 PM)StormLord Wrote:  First are the listed times in the table the only games that will grant "Points" or are there going to be other games that the various Staff members can run at their leisure(like normal) that grant "Points" as well?

Any games run within the next 5 weeks will be rewarded with win points, the scheduled ones are just there to give players a regular time to aim for each day for a guaranteed hosted game, rather than relying on staff having spare time and wanting to host.

(06-26-2018 11:21 PM)StormLord Wrote:  If the listed games are it, how are people with non-standard schedules supposed to participate? Both of the games during the days of the week are only six hours apart, and even with the third game on Saturday they all fit within a twelve hour clump.

The times are designed around our staff availability and providing a consistent schedule for players. Not everyone is going to be able to make the scheduled events but we had to aim for the maximum coverage. Considering the event is triggered by the summer school holidays the times are designed for the EU early evening, US early evening and on the weekend the Australian early evening. These times are most suited to students on a break from school. On a Saturday the games are spread over fifteen hours, which I don't think you could call a 'clump' given that is over half a day. Whilst not everyone will be able to make all the events, we hope that over the five weeks everyone will be able to make at least a few.

(06-26-2018 11:21 PM)StormLord Wrote:  You mentioned we won't be able to see or purchase the prizes until "A few weeks in" which I would take as being three to four weeks into the five week event, which means we won't know if it's worth the time and effort for them until it's already too late to participate.

Personally I define a few as around 2, but it's open to interpretation. The reason for waiting is to give it time to see roughly how many wins people are getting. It is hard to predict whether a few players are going to dominate or if there will be an even spread of wins. This would effect the pricing of prizes as we want everyone to have a chance to obtain some decent prizes. The games are supposed to be fun with the prizes as an added benefit, so if you're not sure whether you want to play or not because the prizes aren't announced, then I would recommend just playing the games for fun, or not playing them. It's up to you.

(06-26-2018 11:21 PM)StormLord Wrote:  Which brings me too my next point, I'm concerned about the possibly high prices of these rewards since it wouldn't be hard to arbitrarily label everything three-five "Points" making it very difficult to get even one item.
There are a total of 63 "Points" up for grabs(Again assuming only the games listed in the table). If I somehow managed to join in time for half the total games and won 1/10 of the games I entered I would end up with a grand total of three "Points".

I'm not sure why there is an assumption here that staff are going to intentionally price people out of getting any prizes arbitrarily. These games are being run for the benefit of our players and the prizes will be priced accordingly. There is also a lot more than 63 points up for grabs as each scheduled game will consist of multiple rounds. For example, there were three rounds of PvP yesterday, and technically in Lava Run every single participant could win. As mentioned previously there will also be unscheduled games as usual with additional points up for grabs.

(06-26-2018 11:21 PM)StormLord Wrote:  Considering I hadn't even heard of "Naval Battle" or "Floaty Feather" until a week ago or that I've only seen Lava Run active maybe twice and the amount of people I'd expect in these games 1/10 win rate is probably a little generous.

These games have been open for quite a while and were both announced in the forum. If you haven't heard of them that doesn't mean that others have, so I'd say that 'people' still have a decent chance to win. Floaty Feather is open to play at any time so you're welcome to go and practice beforehand.

[Image: 7ciirExl.png]
06-27-2018, 05:40 AM (This post was last modified: 06-27-2018 05:42 AM by StormLord.)
The first answer rendered most of the rest of my questions moot, with all games being counted as "Win points" and the rate at which the staff normally run Spleef alone that eliminates most of my questions/concerns, but thanks for the answers anyway.

Throw me into a lake and I'll make it the second Dead Sea.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proudly waiting for quests, only four and a half years and counting.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)